Musikgarten Blog: Instilling a Love of Music in Children
When visiting the home or workspace of others, one may notice if they have music playing in the background. Others may be able to, and even prefer to, have music playing while reading or concentrating on a task, while some find it distracting. After so many years, experts are still trying to understand how our brains react to music. While there are always exceptions to the rule, most researchers conclude that listening to music has several beneficial effects on mind, body, and spirit:
The Benefits of Listening to Music
- Listening to music engages your brain – MRI scans reveal active areas of the brain lighting up when music is heard.
- Studies show that it can improve memory and slow cognitive decline – Music memory is one of the brain functions most resistant to dementia.
- Music triggers the release of several beneficial brain chemicals such as dopamine, cortisol, serotonin, and oxytocin.
- Music helps lower anxiety and the symptoms of depression.
- Its heart healthy, elevating mood and allowing blood to flow more easily
- Music helps people eat less and increases workout endurance.